Bad installation examples
Many times we are called by a customer to correct or replace a generator due to a bad installation by another company. The "great deal or savings," they thought they received was compromised by a bad install which led to problems. Below are some examples.
Advanced Power Generation does not take any shortcuts. All of our work is strictly to code for safety and the benefit will be long lasting equipment. Will you pay a little more for our services? Possibly but you save in the long run. We stand by our work.
Click on the thumbnail images to enlarge the photo.
In the above photo the generator is not properly supported, too close to house and windows (5 feet clearance required by code). Upon close inspection we saw the base was collapsing thus bending the shrouding inside, keeping the lid from latching. There is a gap between the base and housing. This should be flush.
The above photos show how close the generator is to house. The engine exhaust comes out the back of the generator (carbon monoxide). The also show that the gas line was improperly installed. Wrong material, no support, no drip leg, to close to gas meter, no UL listed flex.
What the pictures do not show is how improperly the wiring was done. The electrical portion of this install does not meet code and is unsafe. This installer was the lower price, No part of the installation was done correctly. Unsafe and irresponsible. The install was a listed dealer.
The photo above shows a unit that was installed on stone but has since sunk into the mud stressing the mounts and housing.
The above unit speaks for itself. Too close to house and too close to the transfer switch. The heater vents were not maintained.
Above is yet another example of a dangerous install that doesn't meet code. The unit is sitting in mulch. It is sinking into the mud and now sitting crooked. Being crooked is bad for engine because the oil goes to one side and may cause low oil pressure and engine damage. It is way to close to house and windows. The propane gas line is not properly installed, no support and wrong materials.
Above shows the electrical wiring from generator to the transfer switch. The first issue is that connector used is not rated for outdoor use! it is an indoor connector and you can see how easy it is for water to get into the electrical portion of the generator. The wire and method is completely wrong and unsafe. It only has three conductors and should have four. Although it is wire rated for outdoor (direct burial) it cannot be used in this manner especially with that connector and only three conductors. An extremely unsafe installation.
This transfer switch is an indoor switch installed outside. Unsafe, illegal and will fail due to water infiltration.
And finally, the unit above is in mud, no concrete or suitable foundation. The gas line has no drip leg and no support. The electrical conduit runs in solid PVC. It should be in flexible conduit not solid. Since there isn't a proper foundation you can see the conduit stressed down.
Our installation done right the first time!
In the above photos is one of our installations. They show the concrete pad and proper clearance from house. A properly installed gas line, with drip leg and UL listed gas flex.
Above is another of our installations. Shows proper pad, electrical conduits stubbed up in pad. Everything in trenched and a proper gas line.